Use At-In-On

Introduction


This page shows you how to use the prepositions on, in, and at in different contexts.

1. Transportation















Preposition Example Nouns Example Sentences
in car, truck I went to Vancouver in my car.
on bus, train, ship, plane, bicycle I went downtown on the bus.

We travelled to Toronto on the train.

2. Time




















Preposition Example Nouns Example Sentences
in January, February, March

1987, 1988, 1989

two minutes, three days
She arrived in February.

I was born in 1988.

I'll be home in three days.
on Wednesday, Thursday

weekend
The party is on Thursday.

He left on the weekend.
at 7:00, 7:30, 8 o'clock, noon I'll call you at 7.30.

3. Communications










Preposition Example Nouns Example Sentences
on telephone

Internet

radio, television

I spoke to him on the telephone yesterday.

I read about it on the Internet.


I heard the news on the radio.


4. Where prepositions are NOT used

We don't use prepositions with certain words and phrases:













NO Preposition Words and Phrases Example Sentences
in, on, at home

this morning

this afternoon

every week

last Tuesday

next year

Sally went home.

I met my classmates this morning.

We will arrive this afternoon.

We have an exam every week.

Neil did his laundry last Tuesday.

Betty will return next year.


When you are sure that you understand the lesson, you can continue with the exercise.


Continue with the exercise

other resources

Exercise 1
Exercise 2
Exercise 3

Resource